Thursday, March 13, 2008

(mom) Postpartum Hair loss

I had always heard that all of my hair could fall out after the delivery. That happens to other people, not me. Or so I thought. Four months after the delivery, I noticed that my hair was coming out by the handful. I wish I could say that I was kidding or even exaggerating. My hair started to get so thin on the crown and my widow's peak started to resemble Dracula's.

And now I've found that the worst isn't so much the hair loss, but when it grows back in! I now have inch long wispy bangs. The only tricks I know for helping to hide this fun awkward stage:
* Bangs. My side swept bangs now cover the short wispy bangs on one side. But the only problem with having bangs is that you need to have the time and ability to go back to the salon to have them trimmed often. Things I should have thought of.
* Headbands work wonders, according to a friend
* Hats are always good
* Move your part to cover any bald spots

Here's a great article from Babycenter on postpartum hair loss.

One thing that the article also mentions, that I want to second, is that you will need to be careful that your lost hair doesn't wrap around the baby's fingers and toes. Someone had warned me about this (and again, I figured this could never happen to me). But after one bath, I was putting one of the boys' sleepers on and just randomly checked his toes for my hair - and there was a strand wrapped so tight that it was completely cutting off his circulation! So now I constantly check all of their hands and feet for loose (or tight) hairs.

Please share any other ideas for hiding postpartum hair loss and regrowth. I could use them!

No comments: