Friday, March 14, 2008

(mom) Make your own custom onesie

I enjoy fun crafts, and amazingly, here is a one I actually completed! I managed to make these for Father's Day. Now imagine me sitting on the floor ironing, because I was too tired to stand, with my belly that already measured as if I were 44wks pregnant. Amusing, to say the least. These make great gifts for new moms and are great for multiples (put their name on the onesie/T shirt to tell them apart). My original goal was to make these for the boys' birth announcement. I had designed their full name, time of birth, and weight for each, but the thought of putting the custom onesies on each and taking a photo where it was all readable for all three at once was a bit overwhelming.



I can't take credit for the creativity. A blog that I love (that has nothing to do with babies) is ljcfyi - here is her post on how to make these onesies.

What you need:
* Onesies (wash first)
* Scissors
* Iron
* Iron on T-shirt transfer printer paper



Step 1:
* We didn't have a scanner, so I took a digital photo of my husband as a child. In Photoshop, I edited the photo (erasing the background and the writing on his shirt) and added the text (which comes from a sign in his parent's house).
* Or, you can open Word and use fun font styles and colors to make your design.

Step 2:
* Print the image out on the iron on paper. (The paper comes in white or black/dark, so you can best match your onesie.)

Step 3:
* Cut the image out. Know that the lines that you cut will be somewhat visible on the onesie. (This is why the example from ljcfyi is so clever because she hides the outline with a stitch. I didn't have the energy to do this...)

Step 4:
* Iron according to the package directions. And you're done!


No comments: